Boston Red Sox third baseman Rafael Devers worked out with the team on Wednesday after the club felt secure about his health.
Devers has tested negative on three coronavirus tests, according to reports. The team was initially fearful that he has been exposed to COVID-19.
"We had some guys that were possibly exposed to somebody with coronavirus," Red Sox manager Ron Roenicke told reporters during a Zoom teleconference on Wednesday. "This group has tested negative three times. We will continue to test them, just because we're being overly cautious. That's kind of why we've separated some of the guys from the later workouts."
Devers took live batting practice at Fenway Park on Wednesday and is hopeful he will be allowed to participate in Thursday's intrasquad scrimmage. He was previously working out at Boston College before being cleared to join the team.
"He's concerned about seeing velocity," Roenicke said. "We were able to do that over there with him with the pitching machine in the cage. He'll do that again and see live BP today, which is helpful, and then if he's ready for a couple of at-bats, we'll have him in the intrasquad (game)."
The 23-year-old Devers had a breakout campaign last season when he batted .311 with 32 homers and 115 RBIs. He led the American League with 54 doubles.
The Red Sox have confirmed four positive coronavirus tests. The list includes left-hander Eduardo Rodriguez, who went 19-6 with a 3.81 ERA in 34 starts last season.
--Field Level Media