-News Direct- From July 1, 2021, through June 30, 2022, more than 494 million people were helped by Lions worldwide. This is an increase of more than 100 million people served over the previous year, thanks to the unwavering commitment of the 1.4 million Lions around the world.
"Lions and Leos pursued the passion in their hearts by serving side by side and reaching deeper into our communities to serve unmet needs," said Douglas X. Alexander, Immediate Past International President for Lions Clubs International and current Chairperson for the Lions Clubs International Foundation. "Now, more than 494 million people worldwide are leading better lives and facing brighter futures thanks to the generosity of our global foundation and the efforts of the incredible men and women who put their kindness into action by serving their communities as Lions."
Lions have strengthened local communities through hands-on service and humanitarian projects for more than a century. That service impact is amplified through the generous support of the Lions Clubs International Foundation (LCIF), which provides grant funding to support the compassionate work of Lions, empowering their service so they can make an even greater impact in their local and global communities.
Here are some of the ways Lions made a difference in their communities during this historic year of service:
- Awarded 1,254 LCIF grants totaling over US$35 million that supported communities and Lions service around the world.
- Mobilized the Refugees and Displaced Persons fund to award nearly US$1.8 million in grants for Lions to support Ukraine refugees.
- Impacted over 27 million people by reducing the prevalence of diabetes and improving the quality of life for those diagnosed.
- Prevented avoidable blindness and improved the quality of life for over 23 million blind and visually impaired people.
- Ensured over 79 million community members had access to nutritious foods.
- Protected and restored our environment to improve the well-being of 156 million people.
- Provided support for over 11 million children and their families affected by childhood cancer.
Lions Clubs International is the largest service club organization in the world. More than 1.4 million members in over 48,000 clubs are serving in 200 countries and geographic areas around the globe. Since 1917, Lions have strengthened local communities through hands-on service and humanitarian projects, and we extend our service impact through the generous support of our Lions Clubs International Foundation. We are focused on supporting vision, the environment, childhood cancer, hunger, diabetes, and other pressing humanitarian needs to help address some of the biggest challenges facing humanity.
For more information about Lions Clubs International, visit lionsclubs.org.
Public Relations Department Manager
View source version on newsdirect.com: https://newsdirect.com/news/lions-clubs-helped-more-than-494-million-people-worldwide-last-year-678883488